I’m not married so I don’t have a reason to wear one of these. But I’ve seen these colorful rings on the fingers of fellow crossfitters and gym goers.
In a hurry? Check out our recommendation for best silicone ring: QALO Silicone Rings
Honestly I didn’t know what they were for when I first saw them. I didn’t put two and two together until after the fact. I guess that just shows how much I know about commitment! Silicone rings are all about relationships and expressing that commitment to the world.
It’s about practicality and keeping precious metals out of harms way from the smashing and dropping that happens in the gym.
Here are the 5 best silicone ring brands on the market right now:
- Groove Plus Life Silicone Rings
- SafeRingz Silicone Wedding Ring
- Saco Band Silicone Rings
- QALO Silicone Rings
- Enso Silicone Rings
Why Do People Wear Silicone Rings?
Does your wedding ring get sweaty after a workout? Does it clink against barbells during deadlifts? You might need a silicone wedding ring and not even know it.Silicone rings are rings that take the place of traditional metal wedding rings. They’re popular among athletes and fitness enthusiast. But people who work with their hands also find great use in them. In fact, one of the first silicone rings was made by a company of working class couples. They worked a lot with their hands and wanted to express their commitment without risking safety.
People wear silicone rings for a number of different reasons.
For the electrician who works with their hands all day, a silicone ring is a matter of safety (metal rings conduct electricity, silicone doesn’t).
For the machinist working in a factory, there’s risk of getting the metal ring stuck in a machine (and getting their hand ripped off). Silicone rings on the other hand break apart under high pressure.
Traditional metal rings aren’t safe in many manual labor occupations. Having a silicone ring takes the risk out of such jobs in a cheap and easy way. Now add to this your daily fitness regimen. You now have a whole day of events looking to tear up your wedding ring! Everything from deadlifts to benchpresses puts you at risk. Your metal ring will scratch up against barbells, dumbbells, and other gym equipment.
But with a silicone ring, all is well. You won’t have to worry metal ring getting scratched up. You won’t have to leave it in the gym locker and risk getting it stolen. Simply slip your silicone ring on in the morning and tackle your day- without missing a beat.
What Is Medical Grade Silicone?
A lot of silicone wedding band reviews boast they are made of “medical grade silicone.” But what do these marketing buzz words mean?
The United States Pharmacopeia sets standards and regulations for medical products. All medical products must undergo testing and if it passes, the product is safe enough be in contact with the human body. This is known as biocompatibility. Medical grade silicone is in things like bandages, feeding tubes, and medical implants.
Many workplaces approve of this material more than any other. They are non-conductive to electricity and heat. Thus, electricians and firefighters can work safely with them. Nurses can slip them on in place of their metal rings to avoid scratching them. Machines operators don’t have to risk getting their metal ring caught somewhere. You definitely don’t want to be around when someone’s ring gets caught. It can get…messy. With that said, high quality silicone rings will be made of medical grade silicone, so be sure to check the labels to see if it has it.
What is Ring Avulsion?
Ring avulsion is when a ring on your finger gets caught on an object and gets yanked off. The force and pressure of the ring getting pulled can strip off, even rip the finger off completely. This is known as degloving.
If a silicone ring gets caught on an object, however, it breaks off before causing any damage to your finger.
Over the years, they’ve caught fire among athletes and fitness enthusiast. It’s durable enough to withstand the barbell pushing and pulling at the gym. At the same time, it’s flexible and light enough to not disrupt the workout. Not to mention they’re just a fraction of the price of a traditional wedding ring.
What Do The Top Silicone Wedding Rings Have In Common?
The best mens silicone rings and best womens silicone rings have a few key traits in common.
- Non-conducive. Not capable of conducting heat or electricity.
- Hypoallergenic. Tested to be relatively unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.
- Non-porous. The pores are too small to harbor bacteria and fungi.
- Breathable. The ring has a ventilation system that keeps it from gathering moisture. A breathable silicone wedding ring keeps your finger from getting sweaty and smelly (bleh)
If it’s important for you to have the best silicone wedding ring brand out there, make sure they have these key traits.
5 Top Rated Silicone Rings
The Groove Plus Life ring comes with a lifetime warranty. If your ring doesn’t fit, gets damaged, stretches, or gets lost, they’ll replace it. Even if you don’t like the color, they’ll replace that too.
It’s marketed as the “world’s first breathable silicone ring.” This basically means that the inside of the ring has grooves for air to move through. These grooves keep moisture from collecting under your skin.
- Breathable grooves inside of the ring keeps moisture from collecting during work outs or when washing hands
- Variety of color options to choose from
- Comes in a two-toned color scheme; one color on the inside and another on the out.
- It’s made of two layers which separate under high tension, preventing ring avulsion.
- Odor-free after sweat and working out
- Able to keep it on for long periods of time, making it more convenient
- Substances like hand lotion and soap bubbles can get trapped under the grooves
- Ring can get caught in pants pocket
They wanted to make the best silicone wedding band ever. How? By designing their rings to look exactly like traditional wedding rings. They do this by making gold silicone rings that have the same width size as a real wedding ring.
- Designed to look like a real traditional ring
- Material closely resembles metal
- Made in 6mm design, traditional wedding band width
- Made in the USA
- Ring stretches with finger swelling
- ”YESJ” branding on the inside of the ring may be off putting to some
- Ring can easily tear with only 20-30 lbs of force
- Doesn’t offer rings in different styles and sizes
Saco launched in 2014 and has a focused line of products all sized at 5.5 mm. They have bands for both men and women and offer a variety of color ways. Of the brands listed, Saco Band has the most competitive pricing and value.
- Comes with a variety pack of 7
- Good value for price
- Comfortable even when wearing gloves
- Minimalist design has no logos or symbols
- Lightweight and flexible
- Gets caught in pants pocket
- Advertised images may not be true to actual product
- Reviewers report color disfiguration over time
They have a variety of designs to choose from and even let you custom engrave your own ring. On top of the standard 5-6 mm width ring, they also offer stackables. Cute, feminine, and sporty, QALO take their rings to another level. They designed fashionable rings that you can pair and match with others.
The stackables come in different styles as well. They are designed to be worn in stacks of two or 3, but look just as good on their own.
- Offers thin stackables in different styles and colors
- Variety lets you express individuality and sense of fashion.
- 1 year warranty
- Very comfortable
- Has customizable engraving options (Check QALO website)
- Comes with a ring storage pouch to hold your traditional wedding ring
- May be some discrepancy between images advertised and actual color
- There is a slight line around the band of some styles where it was molded together
Featured on ABC’s Shark Tank (they got an offer!), Enso Rings are very unique. The rings are infused with precious metals like copper and silver for a more authentic and luxurious look. So products like their gold silicone wedding band shimmer and glimmer in the light..good enough to brag about!
They are the only company on this list to offer 3 sizes: Halo (2.54 mm), Thin (5.08mm), and Classic (6.6mm). They also offer stackables so you can mix and match the rings to express yourself.
- 3 different width sizes
- Offers stackable mix and match ring customization
- Many styles and colors to choose from for men and women
- Breathable channels on inside of ring promote airflow to keep your finger dry
- Precious metal infusion gives the ring a shimmer that makes it look authentic
- Sizing chart may not be accurate for all users
- Certain fashion forwards designs like the pyramid may wear down over time and use
The clear winner is QALO Silicone Rings.
They’re priced mid range relative to the other choices. But being able to customize with stackables in different colors and designs was a dealbreaker.
The only one that matched this level of customization were ENSO Rings, but they were pricier. QALO rings don’t have any designs or logos like the SafeRingz infinity sign, but you still have the option to add one.
Check price: QALO Silicone Rings
While Groove Plus Life boasts it’s the “first breathable ring,” we found that the QALO ring sufficed in its breathability. QALO Reviewers report having dry, odor free fingers after working out with their ring.
We found that most rings across the board served their purpose in keeping the user safe and providing comfort, but what makes QALO unique is their attention to style and design, letting people express their individuality. This may very well be the best mens silicone wedding ring out there, but you’ll have the be the judge of that.