There are four things you never leave the house without: phone, keys, wallet, shaker bottle.
In a Hurry? Check out our recommendation for best protein shaker bottle: BlenderBottle Classic Shaker Bottle
A shaker bottle is one of the most important tools you’ll need through your fitness journey. My gym experience wouldn’t be complete without one.
Any person with fitness goals needs one. In the market for a shaker bottle?
Here’s our top 5 pick for best shaker bottle, in no particular order:
- BlenderBottle Classic Shaker Bottle
- BlenderBottle Radian Insulated Stainless Steel Shaker Bottle
- Homiguar Stainless Steel Shaker Bottle
- Hydra Cup Dual Threat Shaker Bottle
- BlenderBottle ProStak System
Protein shaker bottles come in handy. You can use them for so many things.
In the morning, I used one to make breakfast smoothies with oatmeal, peanut butter, and yogurt. Then I’d pour it into my shaker bottle and commute to school. At school I’d clean it out and use it as a water bottle.
When it was time for a workout, I’d take my handy shaker bottle out and have a pre-workout drink.
Seriously, I couldn’t imagine going about my day without a protein shaker bottle.
What Can I Use My Protein Shaker Bottle For?
There are many uses for shaker bottles depending on your needs. Are you starting a muscle building program? Recovering from an injury? Maybe you’re going vegan and need a way to get your protein in?
Here are the many ways you can use your shaker bottle:
- Post-workout protein shakes
- Pre-workout drinks
- Breakfast smoothies
- Mid-day smoothies
- Water bottle
- Storage for pills and supplements
- As a cooking tool for blending dressings, marinades, and pancake batter
- Carrying iced coffee
What is a Protein Shaker Bottle Anyway?
But what exactly is a shaker bottle and what does it do? Can’t I use a water bottle?
The Mixing Mechanism Makes All The Difference
What separates a protein shaker from a water bottle is the mixing mechanism. This mechanism breaks up and blends ingredients into smooth liquid shakes.
There are several types of mixing mechanisms. Whisk balls, built-in screens or strainers, and even battery powered mini motors.
With the right mixing mechanism, you’ll have consistent, smooth shakes you’ll savor till the last drop. With the wrong one, you’ll be gulping down clumps of powder, furiously trying to mix them apart.
Besides the mixing mechanism, the other elements of a shaker bottle are the material of the bottle and lid.
Material Of The Bottle
The material of the bottle determines the style and aesthetic of a shaker. It also impacts the taste and temperature of the shake.
Shaker bottles can be made of 3 different types of material: plastic, insulated, and stainless steel.
- Plastic is the most common type.
- Insulated shakers keep your beverage cold for hours throughout the day.
- Stainless Steel is less likely to develop odor and attract stains.
Having a lid that stays on secure is crucial. Make sure both the lid and the sipping spout/mouth can lock in place. Be careful of the cheaper models because some will leak even when fully twisted.
What Are The Most Important Features Of A Protein Shaker Bottle?
Make sure to look for these features in a protein shaker bottle.
Leak proof. It’s no fun having to clean out your gym bag when the protein shaker accidentally spills!
Easy to clean. Even if you have a dishwasher, you’ll be doing quick hand washes on your protein shaker. Most protein shaker bottles are easy to clean, but what you have to look out for is the lid.
The lid has small crevices inside and underneath that are hard to reach. Some of my protein powder gets stuck in these parts and not even a small sponge can get them out.
Does it have a loop or hook? The loop or hook is the handle that’s attached to the lid. This makes it easier to carry on the go or reach when it’s in your backpack.
Does it mix well? Does it quickly and thoroughly break down all your protein powder or supplement?
Odor-resistant. Most protein shaker bottles are odor-resistant. Just be careful not to leave it under direct sunlight or warm temperatures. And don’t leave liquids in it for more than a couple of days.
Is it BPA-Free? Many brands have switched to being BPA-Free, but not all. Check the bottle for a “BPA-Free” label.
What’s All The Fuss About “BPA-Free” ?
What exactly is BPA and why is there controversy?
BPA stands for bisphenol A: an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics and resins. Believe it or not, it’s derived from petroleum.
That’s right. Petroleum, the gas you put in your car.
In petroleum, there is a colorless, volatile liquid hydrocarbon called benzene. Through a manmade chemical reaction, benzene turns into bisphenol A.
Bisphenol A is a chemical that mimics estrogen. In studies involving lab animals, exposure to BPA at very low doses was linked to a “wide variety of health problems, from an increased risk of prostate cancer, heart disease, to damage to the reproductive system.”
BPA is in plastics often used as food and beverage containers.
Research shows BPA can seep into food or beverages from containers made with BPA- Yikes!
How Can I Get My Protein Powder To Dissolve Easily When Mixing?
Before you pour your powder or supplement into the shaker bottle, add water first. If you pour your powder first before the water, the powder is more likely to clump at the bottom.
Mix the bottle side to side. Don’t start by shaking it up and down because then the powder gets stuck to the top of the lid.
My Protein Shaker Smells: What Should I Do?
It happens to the best of us. We take the best of care for our protein shakers, yet they still end up smelling! Here’s what to do to get rid of it.
A. Warm water and soap. This is the easiest and first thing you should try. Add a few drops of dish soap and warm water, screw the top on and shake! Rinse it out and let it air dry.
B. White vinegar. If that doesn’t work, fill it 1/5 of the way with white vinegar and the rest with warm (not hot) water. Let it sit overnight and thoroughly rinse it with water in the morning.
C. Bleach and baking soda: If you’ve tried everything, add a teaspoon of bleach and a teaspoon of baking soda. Fill it with warm water. Let it sit overnight, rinse it out completely, then let it air dry.
Or if your shaker really, really stinks, try this combination:
The 5 Best Protein Shaker Bottles
Here are the 5 best protein shaker bottles in the market.
In 2000, Steve and Kim Sorensen took a piece of wire bought at a hardware store and formed the original BlenderBall wire whisk. That day, the BlenderBottle was born.BlenderBottle is a dominant force in the fitness industry. Their patented BlenderBall helps millions of people make consistently smooth and delicious shakes.
With their screw-on lid and wide mouth, you’ll enjoy a secure shake that won’t spill.
- 28-Ounce capacity for ease in mixing
- Stays odor-free with wide range of powder and liquid types
- Receptive customer service replaces your shaker hassle free
- Large selection of colors
- Patented Blenderball wire whisk offers quick and efficient clump-free blending
- The top rim of the lid may crack after prolonged use
- Doesn’t have a small shaker cups for protein powder/supplements
- The lid spout can get stuck and is hard to open
We couldn’t help but make another BlenderBottle brand recommendation. (Did we mention they’re a dominant force?)The Radian Insulate Stainless Steel shaker bottle takes the classic to another level. Designed with a double-wall vacuum insulation, this bottle keeps your drink cold for up to 24 hours.
Outside of using protein powder, it’s a great way to keep your water cold throughout the day.
- Stainless steel is more odor-resistant than other materials
- Easier to clean because of stainless steel
- Lasts longer and is more durable than most rubber shaker bottles
- Mouth cap twists design is spill-proof
- No condensation or sweating from cold liquids
- Doesn’t come in many colors
- Plastic twist on cap may warp over time, causing leakage
- The detachable plastic hook on the lid sometimes comes off on its own
This bottle, with its sleek and modern design, doesn’t even look like a protein shake bottle.
It’s great if you’re looking for something that doesn’t scream “gym bro”.
Great to carry your coffee in and bring to work. And if you just use it for water, the stainless steel won’t give it that plasticy aftertaste.
- Stainless steel metal body is more odor-resistant than plastic
- Visible window makes it easier to use
- Rubber seals within lid gives extra confidence that it won’t leak
- Has a casual and modern design for use on other occasions besides working out
- Window, shaker ball, and top cap are made of TRITAN plastic, not stainless steel
- Lid and plastic ball is harder to clean
You can tell whoever designed this shaker bottle goes to the gym and uses shaker bottles on a regular basis.
They seemed to have found a solution to every problem a regular gym goer has.
“I wish I had a shaker bottle that could hold 2 shakes.”
BOOM. Dual compartment design.
“Some of my powder gets stuck in the crevices at the bottom of my bottle. Darn.”
BOOM. Rounded bottle base so your supplements never get stuck again.
It even comes with a built-in small compartment to carry your supplement pills with you. Not bad at all.
- Dual compartment design makes it easy to carry shakes without having two bottles
- The shaker bottle base is rounded for easy cleaning and mixing
- Small built-in compartment to carry accessories, snacks and supplements
- Uses a mixing screen instead of a blender ball that is not as effective
- Each drink compartment can only carry 15 ounces and may not be enough room to mix the water and powder
Surprise, surprise. Another BlenderBottle on our list! Seriously, BlenderBottle just gets it. They really know what the market wants and design products that prove they’re listening.With this iteration, BlenderBottle finds a solution to a common problem. How do I make it more convenient to carry my supplements?
Solution: the BlenderBottle ProStak System.
This shaker bottle is 22 ounces instead of the classic 28. Then, with the extra real estate, they added small interlocking jars that twist on and off.
Now you can carry your protein powder, snacks, and vitamins in this all-in-one bottle.
- Comes with all the same features as the BlenderBottle Classic
- Small interlocking jars to carry supplements with ease
- Top-rack dishwasher safe material
- Comes with removable twist n lock pill container
- Carrying capacity is only 22 ounces
It’s hard to beat a classic. Which is why we recommend the BlenderBottle Classic Shaker Bottle.
It’s patented BlenderBall sets the standard in terms of mixing ability. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles the other products we reviewed have. It’s designed for one thing: mixing. And it does it very, very well.
The BlenderBottle ProStak System was a close second. But we felt the added interlocking jars were not necessary for users just starting out.
The Hydra Cup Dual Threat Shaker Bottle gets an honorable mention. It is recommended for seasoned fitness enthusiast with busy lifestyles who need a bottle that holds 2 drinks.
All in all, the BlenderBottle Classic has everything you need.